Tuesday 21 December 2010

A Winter Wonderland in Lytham


One thing you don't normally associate with the Fylde coast is snow. If we do get any it's normally not much more than a light dusting, but over the last week we've had around 6 inches - a rare occurance, so definitely time to get the camera out!

I've been wanting to add some pictures of Lytham to my portfolio for quite a white, so this was the perfect opportunity. Arriving at Lytham front it was obvious I was going to be in for a treat - snow lay on the ground, fog was clearing across the green, the sun was setting and a full moon was rising. What more could you want - as a landscape photographer if these sort of conditions don't lift the spirit then nothing will.


In rapidly changing conditions such as these, I often prefer not to use a tripod. This way I can move around an area more easily and make the best of the light as it evolves. Modern cameras offer several features to help, so why not make use of them - stabilised lenses allow you to handhold at slower shutter speeds, and you can safely push the ISO up without seriously compromising image quality. I could still use my trusty Lee graduated filters to balance the exposure of the sky, and the instant preview on the lcd was useful for checking highlights and sharpness.


The conditions really were beautiful, and I certainly wasn't the only photographer making the most of them. Everyone had a smile on their face, despite the sub-zero temperatures. The view above would normally show the estuary and the sea beyond, but the fog, snow and sun combined to create a magical atmosphere.


The full moon was added bonus, and really helped make this scene - although I had to be careful with exposure not to lose all of its detail. Lytham windmill itself recently had its sails damaged in the storm - apparently they will be replaced in the new year, so the image above will probably be a one off. Hands numb, I eventually put the camera away - aware that I'll probably never see conditions quite like this again.

I'm sure some of these images will be available on my main website soon (www.astannard.com), so please check there or get in touch if you're interested.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the middle one, more than like it, I really find it beautiful, simple, perfectly composed, stunning colours. Surely a great shot. I find the other ones quite complementary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandrine,

    Thanks for the comments. Wasn't sure if that image would be a bit too abstract to work on it's own - feels like it needs the other images for context around it. Glad it hit the spot though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, the first and the last are my favourites.

    Sandrine - you don't happen to be the UKC poet Sandrine do you? That would be another coincidence! I know there will be more than one Sandrine around, but you write a similarly lyrical way.

    ReplyDelete